The initial meeting for form a club which became known as the Maryborough Antique and Classic Motor Club was held in the School of Arts Hall in Maryborough on 8th October 1968. Fourteen men attended this meeting with Mr Sid Parkinson being elected as President. Mr Ron Schiefelbein was a founding member and today is still an active member of our Club.

The aims of the Club were: The restoration and preservation of motor vehicles within the following years: Up to December, 1918 as Veterans; 1919 to December 1930 as Vintage; 1930 to 1940 as Post Vintage and Classic cars as generally accepted as such.

In 1972, the Club commenced a monthly journal/newsletters on Club activities. As time went by, the Club established a “Clubman of the Year Award” and in 1974 held the forerunner of our present day 4-Club Rally, it being a Three Way Rally with the Gympie and Nambour clubs. Kingaroy later joined the group and thus this annual event became known as 4-Club.

Back in 1974, it was considered very liberating to have a woman Club member – Mrs Norma Parkinson, who had her own car and wanted to be involved in the Club’s rallies. Other members of our present Club joined the original Club - such as Ken Caulley, who served as President and Lindsay Kahler as Publicity Officer. Bill Ohl was also a member and remained one until recent years. It seemed that 1974 was a big year for the Club – acquiring its first PO Box, staging its first major event - an inter-city rally, introducing “tea and bikkies” (bought with raffle money) at meetings and purchasing its first typewriter.

Through the 1970’s and into the 1980’s the Club was very active and undertook many activities. The library was underway. Our Club cars were part of so many events in the Wide Bay region and assisted in so many charitable causes.. Members ventured far afield, taking their prized cars to events in other states, and even as far away as Cooktown.

In 1981, the Club newsletter became known as “The Antique Spoke”. In 1985 the Club approved a motion to become incorporated and agreed to “rehash” the Constitution. The first meeting held in Hervey Bay was at the Melanesia Village (now known as Kondari at Urangan). Our first life members were appointed in 1987 – being Mr Sid Parkinson and Mr Ron Schiefelbein. In 1989 the Club celebrated its 21st birthday boasting a membership of 40 with approximately 60 veteran and vintage cars and motor cycles on the Club register. A movie “The Delinquents” starring Mylie Minogue and Charlie Schlatter was filmed in Maryborough and Bundaberg. It caused great excitement as some Club cars were used in the movie scenes. We again saw that movie as it was shown at our 40th celebrations in 2008.
1991 saw a change of name for the Club to the Fraser Coast Historic Vehicle Club reflecting the name of the newly amalgamated regional council. Rallying to distant places has always been an important activity with the Club. Trips to Tasmania, Inverell, South Australia to name a few. And so many outings in our local region helping members to get to know their region better.

Over the years, the Club developed a tradition of having regular events throughout the year. Such things as Australia Day celebrations, Fraser Coast Show display, Whale Festival, Anzac Day service, National Motoring Heritage Days, the Prawn run, Frostbite run etc. Added to those outings are the requests to present our cars at displays for charity, farm and motor shows etc. And, our members all love just to have a simple outing, bringing out our chairs and sitting around chatting.

In 2008, the Club celebrated its 40th birthday with celebrations spanning 3 days over the first weekend in October. In the ten years since then, there have been many changes to such things as the constitution, meeting venues, and these days less long runs. Instead of a newsletter, we try to keep up with the times with our own website. We have to remember that 50 years is very significant for the Club, but also very significant in the lives of its members. These days we struggle to maintain a schedule of events and a strong membership. But we always seem to have some new members each year, who bring a new enthusiasm to the Club.

Where will the Fraser Coast Historic Vehicle Club b in another 50 years? Certainly the cars will be very different!!